Re: [odin-devel] [LONG] Broken (lib)vista copyright

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 20:45, David Paleino wrote:
> [...]
>        vista/VGraph.h
>        vista/ZeroC.c
> Copyright: © 1993-1994, University of British Columbia
>                         David Lowe, UBC Lab for Computational Intelligence
> License: other
>  Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and
> its [..]
>  implied warranty.
>
> Files: vista/postscript.h
>        vista/Canny.c
>        vista/EdgesToPS.c
>        vista/Flip.c
>        vista/GaussConv.c
>        vista/ImageToPS.c
>        vista/List.c
>        vista/ReadPlain.c
>        vista/ReadPnm.c
>        vista/RGBToGray.c
>        vista/Rotate.c
>        vista/Scale.c
>        vista/Shear.c
>        vista/Transpose.c
>        vista/VList.h
> Copyright: © 1993-1994, University of British Columbia
>                         Daniel Ko, UBC Lab for Computational Intelligence
> License: other
>  Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and
> its [..]
>  implied warranty.
>
> Files: vista/Crop.c
> Copyright: © 1993-1994, University of British Columbia
>                         Arthur Pope,
>                         Ralph Horstman,
>                         UBC Lab for Computational Intelligence
> License: other
>  Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and
> its [..]
>  implied warranty.
>
> Files: vista/OptFlowWLS.c
> Copyright: © 1994, University of British Columbia
>                    Arthur Pope, UBC Lab for Computational Intelligence
>                     from implementation by John Barron, University of
>                     Western Ontario
> License: other
>  Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and
> its [..]
>  implied warranty.
>
> Files: vista/Volumes.{c,h}
>        vista/VolumesOps.c
>        vista/VolumesType.c
> Copyright: © 1995-1996, Gabriele Lohmann, MPI/CNS, <lohmann@cns.mpg.de>
> License: NONE TODO!
>
> Files: vista/Xfuncproto.h
> Copyright: © 1989, 1991, 1998, The Open Group
> License: other
>  Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and
> its [..]
>  in this Software without prior written authorization from The Open Group.
> --->8---
>
> Ok, here we go: most of the source code is © Arthur Pope from UBC. I
> believe I'd include that as the "main" copyright holder (i.e. the section
> beginning with "Files: *") -- all others become "exceptions".
>
> Secondly, there's no copyright statement for files © Gabriele Lohmann,
> MPI/CNS. Before contacting him, do you have any written statement about

Great job! Gabriele is in my Institiute, I will ask her personally about the
licensing of her code.

> Thirdly, there are some files which do not carry any statement: who owns
> their copyright? These files are:
>
> vista/AddFunc.c
> vista/arithm.c
> vista/GraphType.c
>
> I suppose they're © by the odin team, but I need that written somewhere.

No, I just re-packaged the original vista by ripping off everything except the
source code and added the autotools stuff without much regard for the
copyright.

> Please, fix these problems, so libvista can enter Debian gracefully :)

I will get back to you after talking to Gabriele,

thanks, Thies