Possible copyright issues

Hi *,
I'm packaging a new software for the Debian-Med group, and the source shows
this statement:

/*  This code may be used and modified for non-commercial purposes            */
/*  but redistribution in any form requires written permission.               */

This is clearly non-DFSG-free.

I've contacted the upstream author (CCed), and he said [1] that he would have
put it under GPL (which is, indeed, DFSG-free) and that this was stated on the
project's homepage [2]. Is that sufficient? Or should he make a new release
with that header changed accordingly?

Please keep all us CCed.

Kindly,
David