Re: RFS: mustang, btk-core

On 09/01/2008, at 1.45, Charles Plessy wrote:

For the copyright files, you may be interested by the proposed
machine-parsable format described in the following link. Although no
parser has been written yet, it could be useful to start to use it:
http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat

A very interesting proposal! I will certainly start to use that format.

About the manpages, many thanks for writing them. Have you considered
submitting them upstream ?

Yes, I will send them. I wrote the man pages because I first included the "example" programs in the package as binaries. However, I later decided that they were not really robust enough to justify their presence as "real" applications. So I kept the manpages, but put them with the examples.

I have a few comments specific to btk-core:
  - why providing libbtk-core-dev but not libbtk-core ?

Upstream does not build shared libraries, so there is no need for it. I have chosen not to build shared libraries, because I would have to choose a soname, and if upstream at some point decides to offer a shared library, we could be in trouble.

  - libbtk-core-dev should probably be in the libdevel section.

Yes it could. Upstream defines the intended audience as "Developers, Science/Research". I assumed the package would appeal more to scientists than "ordinary" developers, so I chose the "science" category. I have no strong opinions on the matter, however.

  - in your changelog, a colon is missing: (Closes: #459753)

Fixed.

  - how about packaging the docs as well ?

I assume you mean the doxygen documentation. I seem to remember I had problems generating it, so I let it be, but I can take another look at it. Of course the documentation should be available to the programmer!

Cheers,
Morten

PS: I am quite often on IRC. If anyone wants to chat, I will be in #debian-med and #debian-mentors whenever possible.