Re: debian package : VTK 5.2

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 07:53:19AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure it makes sense to have UNofficial packaging of anything
>> in debian-med.  Is that a common practice?
>
> It depends.  I personally prefer official upstream releases.  On the
> other hand sometimes upstream has unusual release habits or it might
> make sense to start packaging with unofficial releases in experimental
> to prepare the next official release.

OK, you're talking about an unofficial upstream version.  I have no
problem with that; indeed, I do it myself.

I had interpreted "unofficial" to mean an "unofficial debian release";
i.e. VTK is maintained by debian developer X, but the debian-med repo
would contain a competing copy of the debian/* files.  I see no value
in doing this.

Best regards,
-Steve