Re: More packages: PVRG & dicom3tools

Hi Michael,

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 06:01:19PM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> 1. PVRG, see:
>>
>> http://jpeg.svn.sf.net/viewvc/jpeg/pvrg/debian/
>> * I had to patch the .l lex file to get it to compile.
>> * I replaced the build process with a cmake build process
>
> Sorry for being dense, but what does that have to do with medicine or
> biology?

I guess you are right it could be a more general package. Long story
short, no one really care about yet another JPEG implementation, right
?
Well except that this particular implementation has been used because
it was an all-in-one implementation of the JPEG-93 specs, and people
starting using it to store image as lossless jpeg. The problem is that
this is a buggy implementation and large collection such as the
University of South Florida Digital Mammography are pretty much
useless without this package (which I use internally in gdcm as a
fallback when IJG decompression fails).

Full ref:
http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/jpeg/index.php?title=Pvrg

> Is this targetted at collab-maint?

I am fine with all options.

> Also, why is the debian
> directory apparently in the upstream subversion repository?

Why not ? I am doing it with the gdcm project and debian-med people
are fine with it, since the official tarball do not contains the
debian/* files (there is a cmake rule to skip this particular dir).
I am not comfortable with the debian process, so for the small
organization I am working for, we use directly the svn repository to
build the debian package and install it on remote station. I guess
when the official gdcm/debian package will be out, this would not make
much sense, but meanwhile, I really would like to keep it this way.

Thanks,
--
Mathieu