Re: libjpeg62-dev, libtiff4-dev, libfreetype6-dev, libxext-dev

Steve,

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 4:21 AM, Steve M. Robbins <steve@sumost.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 02:06:26PM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>
>> That's where I got confused. I thought that build-depends from gdcm
>> would inspect the build-depends from vtk and pull anything needed... I
>> guess you need to repeat those from vtk.
>
> It's not the BUILD-depends of vtk that are relevant but, rather, the
> regular dependencies of gdcm's build-deps.  For example, installing
> libvtk5-dev will pull in anything that libvtk5-dev depends on.
>
> While vtk is linked with tiff (package libvtk5 depends on libtiff4),
> the package libvtk5-dev does NOT depend on libtiff4-dev.  This
> may be an oversight, but more likely it reflects the fact that you
> can use VTK without needing TIFF so there is no need to force
> all libvtk5-dev users to install the TIFF development package.
>
> But gdcm apparently uses the TIFF-using part of VTK, so
> gdcm must build-depend on libtiff4-dev.

Ok I understood the issue. By default CMake is doing a "transitive
linking". So when linking to vtkIO (which depends on libjpeg.so and
libtiff.so) then any project linking to vtkIO *must* link to
libjpeg.so (the symlink). I guess I am the first project doing that ?

The proper solution would be to patch the VTK package to expose a
different interface where transitive linking does not happen:

See:
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2008-November/025584.html

and
http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=3490