Re: libjpeg62-dev, libtiff4-dev, libfreetype6-dev, libxext-dev

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 02:06:26PM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> That's where I got confused. I thought that build-depends from gdcm
> would inspect the build-depends from vtk and pull anything needed... I
> guess you need to repeat those from vtk.

It's not the BUILD-depends of vtk that are relevant but, rather, the
regular dependencies of gdcm's build-deps.  For example, installing
libvtk5-dev will pull in anything that libvtk5-dev depends on.

While vtk is linked with tiff (package libvtk5 depends on libtiff4),
the package libvtk5-dev does NOT depend on libtiff4-dev.  This
may be an oversight, but more likely it reflects the fact that you
can use VTK without needing TIFF so there is no need to force
all libvtk5-dev users to install the TIFF development package.

But gdcm apparently uses the TIFF-using part of VTK, so
gdcm must build-depend on libtiff4-dev.

Hope that clarifies things.

-Steve