Re: Zotero - a reference manager software. (Re: [Cdd-commits] r1113 - projects/science/trunk/debian-science/tasks)

I can second the recommendation of this software: I find this
extension absolutely essential when conducting research. The
integration with both Firefox and OpenOffice has made it a key point
in convincing fellow researchers to give Linux a try, as one of the
most common barriers they've presented is that they can't live without
EndNote. As a side note, packing the OOo extension that gives this
integration should also be considered.

There are, however, a couple issues, raised by Ubuntu packagers[1],
that need to be addressed. First, is the ECL license that Zotero
uses[2], although considered open source[3], is not one we
traditionally deal with.  The Ubuntu folks have essentially decided
that it is "probably good enough," which also probably applies to
Debian, but it is certainly a question worth investigating.

The other issue they discussed are the extension's frequent releases,
and how Ubuntu is instituting a standardized method for maintaining
Firefox extensions (automatically import new updates into the current
development release then push them into backports shortly thereafter.
Does anyone know if there are any such plans for Debian? Is there a
standardized method of packaging Mozilla extensions? If not (a quick
search doesn't reveal anything), it might be worth collaborating with
the Ubuntu folks to have avoid needless duplication of work, as they
seem to have put quite a bit of thought into the issue.

This may be something that should be discussed on a broader list, but
I'm not sure which one (med is the only Debian list I'm on), so please
post wherever you feel is appropriate (but if you could keep me in the
CC list, I would appreciate it)

If we do decide to just package this one extension individually, I
wouldn't mind giving it a try, although I have no mozilla packaging
experience.

Cheers,
-Gabriel

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/239575