Re: Zotero - a reference manager software. (Re: [Cdd-commits] r1113 - projects/science/trunk/debian-science/tasks)

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Gabriel Grant wrote:

I can second the recommendation of this software: I find this
extension absolutely essential when conducting research. The
integration with both Firefox and OpenOffice has made it a key point
in convincing fellow researchers to give Linux a try, as one of the
most common barriers they've presented is that they can't live without
EndNote.

Cool.

As a side note, packing the OOo extension that gives this
integration should also be considered.

Good int.

The other issue they discussed are the extension's frequent releases,
and how Ubuntu is instituting a standardized method for maintaining
Firefox extensions (automatically import new updates into the current
development release then push them into backports shortly thereafter.
Does anyone know if there are any such plans for Debian? Is there a
standardized method of packaging Mozilla extensions? If not (a quick
search doesn't reveal anything), it might be worth collaborating with
the Ubuntu folks to have avoid needless duplication of work, as they
seem to have put quite a bit of thought into the issue.

It sounds very reasonable to learn from Ububtu.  To not forget this
hint I would like to link to an existing Ububtu package of Zotero
on the Debian Science tasks pages (BTW, do you think we shoudl list
it in Debian Med as well?) - but I have no idea where I can find the
package you are mentioning.

This may be something that should be discussed on a broader list, but
I'm not sure which one (med is the only Debian list I'm on),

BTW, if you know some killer applications like this just post it here!!!
There is no need to wait until some of us by chance stumbles upon this
stuff - just make some noise if you know something we do obviosely no
know yet.  (The things we know are on the tasks pages ...)

If we do decide to just package this one extension individually, I
wouldn't mind giving it a try, although I have no mozilla packaging
experience.

The only thing I know is biofox ...