BioLinux

Hi,

at

   http://envgen.nox.ac.uk/bioinformatics/

you can fand some search form to find the software which is included into
BioLinux.  I started reviewing the packages they builded and started adding
information to our tasks files.  They have several packages for software
on our preliminary package list but there is a certain amount of work left
to do before a package can be integrated into Debian.  All packages install
binaries to

  /usr/local/bioinf/<package>

and /usr/local/bin provides symlinks to the binaries.  I had some discussion
with some BioLinux guys in the past and they explained the advantages of
this approach (which I do not agree - but this is not a topic to discuss
now and here).  Also the packages are some kind of sloppy regarding mentioning
the license or separating free and non-free software.

But finally they feature a lot more packages than we have currently and
thus I would like to start some fruitful cooperation.  My first step in
this direction would be to make out tasks pages more comlete and thus
indirectly advertising BioLinux - which hopefully makes them happy about
our team. ;-)

Once this is done we should try to catch the "low hanging fruits" which
might be a nice completion for Debian Med and then offer these guys
cooperation to finish the remaining stuff in a common effort to finally
get them in the Debian Med boat.  The advantages are simple: They might
finally save a lot of work if they will enlarge their crew by the
Debian Med people and can use easy tools like live-helper etc.

What do you think about this plan?

What do you think about adopting our internal structure of the bio task
file attaching some comments etc. to match BioLinux categories.  What
about a sensible split of med-bio into med-bio-<something1>,
med-bio-<something2>, ... according to some of their larger categories
regarding the content we just have in Debian Med?