Re: Imported io-lib, a Staden library

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 12:06:15PM +0100, Tim Cutts wrote:
> Even that doesn't work perfectly - as soon as you do dpkg --root you
> lose dependencies on the system libraries, which could be very
> important (for example staden will probably have quite a tight
> dependency on the precise version of tk installed)

A good point Tim. I believe the rpm system simply avoids this by
basically wanting all dependencies to be resolved locally within the
--root location. One example use of this is in building a chroot
environment, although typically you can drive it from the other side
by getting a chrooted shell up first and then installing from
there.

Regarding the Staden Package Tk dependency, this is unfortunately
still true. I recently tried a newer version and it promptly hit a new
Tk bug (I think). I haven't yet had time to diagnose it, but this sort
of behaviour was largely why I ended up bundling the run-time
libraries I needed along side the binaries in the pre-built distributions.

It resolved the issue of needing specific versions without (generally)
impacting too much on requiring the main system to be upgraded or
downgraded. (And nor did it require the user of the software to have
root access, which was necessary for the bulk of the package users
back then.)

Once the current fire-fighting has died down a little bit I plan to go
back and figure out quite what causes the newer versions to crash and
to either fix my bug or to submit a bug fix to tcl/tk if it resides
there.

James

--
James Bonfield (jkb@sanger.ac.uk) | Hora aderat briligi. Nunc et Slythia Tova
                                  | Plurima gyrabant gymbolitare vabo;
  A Staden Package developer:     | Et Borogovorum mimzebant undique formae,
https://sf.net/projects/staden/   | Momiferique omnes exgrabure Rathi.