Re: Imported io-lib, a Staden library

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Charles Plessy wrote:

this is a very good point. Actually, the situation is similar in my
workplace: we have servers (that unfortunately run CentOS) on which the
minimum is installed, and everybody compiles what he needs. A tremedous
improvement to this situation would be to improve apt so that it can
call dpkg with its --root option. Then users would be able to install
packaged software in their directory with correct handling of the
dependancies.

I do not know about --root option but when snapshot.debian.net was
functional I used this and pinning via /etc/apt/preferences.  If you
implement some snapshot.debian.net like repository and educate users
how to use pinning you can perfectly live with different versions.