Re: Imported io-lib, a Staden library

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Tim Cutts wrote:

In principle, I'm more than happy to help out, but as with everything else, my time is limited. ...

Sure - we talked about this at DebConf last year and I also remember the
reasons you mentioned why you are not using packaged versions.  It would
be stupid if I would try to argue about your workflow at Sanger which has
proven to be reasonable.  (I'm probably biased but I think that providing
software in packages and enabling users to pin on a certain version leads
do better reproducable results than local builds.)

What I can do to help, if not packaging directly, is act as a liaison with the people actually developing the stuff you want. For example, I know the authors of both SSAHA and Artemis quite well. I've been periodically asking Zemin to alter SSAHA2 so that it can be made DFSG-compliant, and he agrees in principle, it's just a case of his group actually finding the time to do it. I'll ping him again about it.

This help would be really appreciated!