Re: [odin-devel] [LONG] Broken (lib)vista copyright

I just tested Odin with vistaio, it compiles without problems, and the
vista-test runs through. (I had more trouble, getting it to find QT4 and
QWT5 on my Gentoo installation). The access to vista is very well
separated into one source file and the required configure tests.

In my code it is similar, plug-ins are created that don't export any
vista-dependencies to other modules.
For that reason, I couldn't care less, which version of vista makes it,
if only we can add some more data types that should be orthogonal to
everything else in the library, add the defines for declspec enabled on
MS Windows, and the build process can (alternatively) use cmake (which
would just add a bunch of CMakeLists.txt files).
BTW: I've heart KDE went cmake, so those guys should now have some
experience in building Debian packages by using it.

> I do not want to risk any problems with 'lipsia' or 'via'
> since both packages are currently used by many researchers
> in our institute.
> Our software has been in use for many years (since 1999)
> and is very well tested. It was used and cited in far more than
> 100 international publications so that maintaining its integrity
> is a primary concern.
> In order to avoid having to test 'lipsia' and 'via' all over again,
> I think that changes to our code should be avoided if at all possible.
I think, if a/the software goes public, it will be changed by people
(fixing bugs, adding features), and therefore, testing it "all over
again" is inevitable. Hence, in order to insure code integrity, I'd
suggest to release a set of automatic unit tests and test data alongside
with the code that reduces the testing to "make check/test".

> I would be glad if Od1n would also work with our version of
> the vista-library. Perhaps the best way to proceed is to
> check that out first?
Most likely it will work, As far as I can see, Odin only uses the
interface to VImage. VArrList, and the FileIO facilities.

Cheers,

Gert