Re: [odin-devel] [LONG] Broken (lib)vista copyright

> IMHO the first step to accomplish this is to collect the mail addresses
> of all upstream maintainers involved in this issue and ask them for a
> statement (preferably here on this list to have a publicly available
> track).
Okay, I've joined the debian-med list.
Added CC:
  Gabi Lohmann
  Marc Tittgemeyer

About the status of my fork (in part repeated from my last post):

The more-or-less copy of the original vista library that I moved from
imake to autotools is not actively maintained by me (vista-2.2.1).

Actually, I was more interested in stripping down the library and reduce
it to an IO library . In the vistaio upstream version I've fixed some
bugs, removed all the command line tools, but kept the command line
parsing code. There is also some code to write specific file history
records. I haven't touched this version in a while.
I think it is still used at the MPI of neurological research, right
Marc?

In the latest issue, which is directly included in the mia2 package and
results in a dynamic library libvistaio-minimal, I added three new data
types (2DVectorfield, 3DVectorfield, and Critical Point) and the
import/export declaration specifiers (as macros) that are needed to
build and import a dynamic library on MS Windows, and removed the option
parsing.

I've also did a diff on the vista-2.2.0 provided by Thies and my version
vista-2.2.1. It seems, Thies version is somewhere in the middle between
my vista and my vistaio version. Apart from files removed, the
differences in real code are minimal.

If we don't wait what comes out with Gabi's code, I'd suggest, to check
out whether Od1n can be build with the vistaio library (I'd do it
within the next week). If this is possible without touching real code, I
would then backport my additions from the mia2-included version, add the
changes Thies did in his version, remove the debian-dir, and send the
needed Od1n patches to him (Hopefully only a bunch of changed includes).

I'd call the library vistaio to make clear that it is stripped down and
use CMake instead of autotools, because, (A) I need to build a MS
Windows version outside cygwin/mingw, and (B) current cmake-cvs which
will eventually become cmake 2.6 will have a deb-package generator:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:CPackPackageGenerators#DEB_.28UNIX_only.29

Opinions?

Gert