MIME type for PDB files.

Le Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:20:09AM -0000, Debian Wiki  a écrit :
> The following page has been changed by SteffenMoeller:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMedMIME
>
> + Can someone confirm/improve
> +
> + ||'''Suffix'''||'''MIME type'''          ||'''Package(s)'''        ||
> + ||.pdb        ||chemical/x-pdb           || rasmol                 ||

Hi Steffen,

as per .pdb format version 2.3, all records must start with a HEADER
field.

ftp://pdb.protein.osaka-u.ac.jp/v3/pub/pdb/doc/format_descriptions/format2.3-0108-a4.pdf
page 13.

The chemical-mime-data package provides a mime entry for the PDB format
that seems to be very comprehensive as it also takes into account broken
files that start with other fields.

I have no experience in cristallography. Daniel, do you know if this is
necessary ?

Maybe rasmol (and pymol, and others) should suggest chemical-mime-data?
I do not think that it can recommend it because of bug 420795. Shall I
file wishlist bugs or should we try to push a text/x-pdb alternative in
shared-mime-database ?

When this is decided, I will file a wishlist bug against rasmol for its
.desktop file to mention the chosen mime types.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org