Re: Working on BioImage Suite 2.5 beta source tree

HI all,

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 12:39:15PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a private e-mail from Xenophon Papademetris of BioImageSuite
> who gave reasons for working on Debian packaging of BioImageSuite
> version 2.5 in a closed circle instead of open discussion on the
> Debian-Med mailing list.  Even if the Software is GPLed it sounds
> reasonable to regard his wish.  Xenophon wanted to create a mailing
> list for this purpose and I just want to ask everybody who is
> interested, willing and can spend a certain amount of time to
> work on this to send me or Xenophon an e-mail.  This should make
> sure that we do not miss any medical imaging expert hanging around
> on this list.  I'm personally not able to spend the amount of
> time to do all the work but I'm definitely would help out in
> some parts.
>
> So please volunteers hands up to get this nice piece of software
> included into Lenny release.
I had a look at the website and it looks like they utilize FSL for parts
of the functionality. My FSL package is now very close to an upload to
Debian non-free (only one lintian remark left -- which is a
false-positive). It is now available for 2 years and used by a number of
groups -- I think it is solid.

I haven't looked at the bioimagesuite code, so please forgive my
ignorance, but projects of that size tend to include a lot of 3rd party
code, and we should prevent such duplications in Debian. However, given
the information on the website it looks like this could be a pure runtime
dependency. If that is the case, I'd love to have a bioimagesuite
package that works nicely together with the fsl package. If that is not
the case, it is probably a licensing problem as 90% of the FSL code is
non-free.

I glad to help with that, please put me on the list or whatever it will
be.

Cheers,

Michael

--