Thoughts on the Vienna RNA package

Hi all,

I had a look at the Vienna package, and here are a few thoughts about
the work to be done.

- It uses a patched version of Readseq. Maybe we should consider to
  build Vienna on Debian's readseq, possibly by adopting its patches if
  they are not disruptive. By the way, we could incorporate the Debian
  package for readseq in our repository, if its current maintainer
  agrees.

- The Vienna package provides libraries that other programs use. For
  instance, MiRanda, a sofware to discover targets of micro RNAs uses
  Vienna's RNAlib.

- Emboss provides some wrappers so we shoud probably package them as
  well.

- There are some build issues such as the Makefile in the Kinfold
  directory that has no distclean rule. Probably some autoconf mastery
  can solve the problem.

- The vienna-rna source package should probably be split into multiple
  binary packages, for instance RNAforester which is a distinct work.

- I do not have the impression that some commercial licences are sold,
  so maybe we have a chance of obtaining a relicencing ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org