Re: CdMedic Pacs Web

[I keep the debian-med list in CC which in principle violates
 the privacy of your mail, but I think there was nothing private
 in it whcih should be hidden from the public.  The rationale
 behind this is that there are several people besides me
 interested in this issue and I would like you to keep the
 list in CC or post directly to the list which I'm reading anyway.]

2007/11/5, Pablo Sau <psau@cadpet.es>:
> I think that an official cdmedicpacsweb debian package could be done
> from my dpkg --build
> one using the dpkg-dev,

Well, as I tried to explain - official packages need an official
tar archive that has to be builded and signed by a Debian
maintainer.  So it is not possible to just take over your deb.
If you think the best method to provide cdmedicpacsweb
as a deb on your site than I have to turn all the files back
into a tar archive.  This is possible in principle but not really
straightforeward and at least an unusual way to distribute
a free software project.

> but one important dependence could fail as the
> the official ctn
> package doesn't work properly with the mysql-server version 5 that is
> the cause of my
> modified ctn version on SF.

Can you please be a little bit more verbose?  Are you refering to
the issue that is reported as bug

     http://bugs.debian.org/326916   ?

You seem to have found a workaround for this.  Could you send
a patch to the e-mail address of this bug (or give me a hint how
to work around this problem).  Have you contacted the developers
of CTN about the problem?  What did they answered

> The Ubuntu packages actually works on Debian
> Etch without
> modification with the exception of the askulap dicom viewer based on the
> beta version,
> that is the only version  that works properly with ctn.

Well, in most cases Ubuntu packages tend to work more or
less on Debian.  But this is not the problem - we just want to
build a complete working environment for medical care inside
Debian.  People tend to share the precondition that Debian
is hard to install and Ubuntu is much more user friendly.  We
try to prove those people wrong for the field of medical care.

> My aim was always to easy the installation and configuration of a free
> PACS, among
> other medical imaging software and as soon a working official package
> appears I retire
> my own version of SF, as it happened with dcmtk one, and I tempted of
> put it back to
> SF as the official version has a faulty behavior of findscu and movescu
> commands, that
> doesn't work at all,  the patch was published on OFFIS dcmtk forum but
> keeping
> package with the last dcmtk version don't solve the error.

The best strategy to get working official packages is to file bug
reports and provide patches to the maintainers.  Perhaps you
consider to subscribe the quite low volume debian-med mailing
list to stay informed about the issues of free medical imaging
software.  Here several gifted and knowledged people are
hanging around which might increase productivity if we get your
input about problems.