Re: Proposal :)

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Charles Plessy wrote:

I do not know how many packages can be incorporated that way, but it
easy to construct an URL which create a QA page for everything in our
radar. The debtags could be instrumental to this (field::biology plus
field::medecine).

Example of URL:

http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?packages=fastdnaml+njplot+tree-puzzle+phylip+treetool+hmmer+boxshade+clustalw+seaview+muscle+t-coffee+sim4+sibsim4+arb+dialign+kalign+probcons+wise+amap-align+poa+qtl+fastlink+loki+garlic+epcr+ncbi-tools6+pymol+rasmol+readseq+tigr-glimmer+bugsx+ghemical+molphy+textopo+gff2aplot+gff2ps+gdpc+mipe+perlprimer+biofox+gromacs+biosquid

Damn, did you noticed that this are 42 packages? ;-)))
Perhaps we have just found the right question! :)
Honestly: Might be a good idea and we could perhaps put such a link
into the WML pages.  This would be even simpler if we would
automatically generate the WMP pages.

I have made a pilot page on the wiki using that kind or URLs:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMedBio

Impressive!  Even if the different colors are not enough to detect the
package easily in the graph if you have more than 8 packages and perhaps
some fine tuning is needed.

The reason for this proposed dichotomy is that www.debian.org is
translated, and Alioth is not. But translation is drawing time from
Debian contributors.

Yes.  That's why I would really like to make use of the package descriptions
that are translated anyway.  Perhaps we could even propose a "no-translation-needed"
tag for those page that do not deserve the effort.

We should treat is as precious even if we get it
for free. (In addition, translating biomedical jargon is a great pain).

Definitely.

Therefore, anything which is related to development activities which are
conduced only in English are better suited for Alioth or the wiki.

Sounds convincing (even for me who is a supporter of the WML pages). :)

About IRC, I encourage volunteers to use it, but I will not visit it
frequently.

Same for me.  On the other hand I try to start some regular (monthly, or
every second month) IRC meetings.  I started to take part in the Debian-Edu
meetings[1] more out of learning who to use this medium effectively than
because of a strong involvement in Debian-Edu itself.  I rather try to
learn from their organisation and try to gain some influence about common
techniques.

Even when I have a big screen, and I do not manage to
monitor efficiently a channel without turning it into a full-time task.

Same to me.  My brain is not really running a multi tasking operating
system and I doubt that there will be an upgrade over time.

Maybe if we have opportunity to meet, the most proficient with IRC can
give the others a tutorial session ;)

I'm taking my IRC tutorials in the Debian-Edu sessions. ;-)

In any case it is good to have the channel - lets see how it will be
used in the future.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Meeting