Re: OpenSourcePACS @ UCLA

Well, you know the usual answer to [these kinds] of requests. ;-))
If somebody really needs it he will just do the job - so if you really
care, we could support your work but there is nobody who has
currently enough time to tackle this kind of complex tasks.
I sent an email to the ULCA group to encourage 'em a bit...
mentioning that debian-med would give their project a bit more
exposure amongst the medically-interested (computer) programmers. :-)

I tried installing the thing.  Unfortunately, the install instructions
are out-of-date-- I'm pretty much sure of this 'cause the install
instructions say "Then, from within the OPENPACS_HOME/buildfiles/etc/jboss
directory, run ant on the commandline: ant" --based on the 'README' in
'~/trunk/lib/build' it appears that the 'OPENPACS_HOME/buildfiles/etc/jboss'
ought to be '~/trunk/lib/build'.  That stated, '~/trunk/lib/build' doesn't
have a build file... so I'm left with the impression that there are
multiple changes.  The above is backed-up with a message on their
mailing-list from November from someone else-- http://www.mii.ucla.edu/pipermail/openpacs/2006-November/000264.html

I guess JBoss would be a cruxial precondition because Debian-Med
has not so many enthusiasts to support this complex package.
JBoss doesn't seem to be that complicated.  I got it to run. :)

Any case, it is sort of a shame that it's Red Hat owned-- as otherwise
they'd probably make a deb 'cause that would facilliate it's continued
use and encourage others to develop programs with it.

Thanks again for your hint
No problem. :)

Whilst on the topic of programs to list...
I think OSCAR McMaster ( http://www.oscarmcmaster.org/ ) is worthy of
an entry-- with Sun's Java having been open-sourced.

I'm wondering if "Raynux", another open source PACS, (currently listed under Hospital Information Systems -- http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/his ) might actually be better categorized under the medical imaging section... or perhaps should appear on both pages.

Take Care,
Michael