Re: Medical Ubuntu Project

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Charles Fitz wrote:

Debian-Med,

Hi, my name is Andreas Tille.  I guess you wanted to contact the Debian-Med
mailing list and thus I put the list in CC.

   Hello, my name is Charles Fitz and I am Lead of the the Medical Ubuntu
Project.  We are a new third party group attempting to bring medical
software to Ubuntu for use by medical profesionals.  I thought that it might
be useful to contact your group and attempt to work in cooperation with you
in our project.  I don't want to be duplicating efforts in a senseless
manor, as many Ubuntu is built from Debian many of the packages are easily
usable on both Debian and Ubuntu.

Sounds very reasonable to not to duplicate effort.  When I had a talk with
Mark and some other people from Ubuntu and other derivers last year in
Helsinky at DebConf this was my main concern: Avoid duplication of work.
So if you like Debian-Med that's great.  If you miss something in Debian-Med
what you would need - just tell us and even better porvide patches or
even packages we could evaluate for our work and include into Debian.
This would enable you to derive a complete system for your Ubuntu
framework.  And, BTW, I would like to have a strong partner in the
Ubuntu community to propagate the idea of free medical software.

  We are nearing completion of a medical dictionary for openoffice, and
have begun work on a project to form a database of information for
Labarotory use, and a database for homeopathy and acupuncture as well.

This sounds more like upstream development than just packaging work
which is great news because IMHO the main problem of Debian-Med is
currently that there is a lack of high quality upstream software.
I hope you will foreward URLs for your effort to enable us to link
to this stuff on our categorized web pages.

We are also currently sifting through the open source software that is
available to find out what best suits our needs and the needs of the
community.

If you find something interesting that is not contained on Debian-Med
pages please drop a note to debian-med@lists.debian.org.  I would also
suggest that at least one member of your project should subscribe that
low volume list.

   We have not yet started our website yet(still seeking aproval from
Canonical copyright department) and our project is officially only a few
weeks old.  Just want your group to be aware of us and what we are doing.

Thanks for the notification.  Just inform our list if you have an URL
to enable us to link to the project.

Kind regards and good luck for your project