Re:DEBIAN GENOMICS

  salut!

>>    Since the other projects seem to be not very
active
>> at the moment
>Well... you will not make friends by saying this,
>because it is untrue ;)
>For instance, a new version of Quantian has been
>released recently.

   You are right, the last version of Quantian is just
a couple of months old. However Quantian -as far as I
have seen- is more focused on programs for applied or
theoretical workers in quantitative or data-driven
fields. Molecular Biology falls in this category.
That's right (even if the set of programs in this area
is not as comprenhensive as in my compilation). They
are making a very good job. I acknowledge it and
support it; therefore I apologize if any Quantian
developer was incommodated by my comments. My
apologizes.

   However, I have seen that:
   - VigyaanCD is seven moth's old.
   - VLinux last posts' are from Feb. 2005
   - APBioKnoppix is from Oct. 2004
   - Bioknoppix last news are from 2004. ISO from Sep.
2005.

   From what I have seen -browsing the web- I wouldn't
say they are very up-to-date, even if that will not
make me very "popular". If you have other
informations, please tell me, I would be delighted to
have a look at their new stuff. In any case, people
sharing their work  are not entitled do continue with
the work or anything ike that. It's nice they do and
we (users) thank them for it.

   Anyway, as I have already said -several times now-,
it is not my intention to "compete" with anyone. I
just did something which I think is interesting and
would like to share it (in fact it could serve as a
boost for the projects that are not as active as
Quantian at the moment).

>Sorry for expressing more criticism than
>encouragements, but I think

   They are welcome as and if they are contructive.

>that Debian Genomics is an inappropriate name, unless
>there is an
>agreement for you to use the name of Debian. Even
>projects tightly
>related to Debian, such as Quantian, do not use
Debian >in their name.

   Could you please tell me why? I have been through
the debian-policy and and I haven't seen anything, but
I will be happy if you show me where I can find that
information :-). Andreas Tille may have something to
say here, he wrote the Debian Custom Distribution
paper and is an active Debian developer.

   And when it comes to Clustal, unless they had
changed the license, there is no need to have such if
the redistribution is not commercial, which is the
case here. In fact there are other people
redistributing it (i.e. Quantian).

>Well, I think that one one hand it will be difficult
>to find an
>individual who can host your iso, but on the other
>hand the difficulty
>with institutions like Debian or universities is that
>they will be
>reluctant to host an iso unless it has been checked

   I can't nor that I would spend a lot of money in
order to host my ISOs. This is something I have made
completely on my own and that I wanted to share with
you (Debian + Molecular Biology Researchers + anyone
interested), but it is now clear that it is not
interesting in any way for the community.

   My "Debian Genomics 2.0" is already done, it works
(with minor glitches, such as every piece of software)
and it has already fulfilled its objectives:
1 - The people to whom it was intended are already
enjoying it.
2 - I have learn a bit more about Debian and GNU/Linux

   It is a pity but so it is. I might come some other
time with something that attracts you more.

   Thanks for the time being,

Jose Maria