Re: Re: DEBIAN GENOMICS

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 01:10:15PM +0200, Waste Crap wrote :
> Hi!

Hi Jose,

>    Since the other projects seem to be not very active
> at the moment

Well... you will not make friends by saying this, because it is untrue ;)
For instance, a new version of Quantian has been released recently.

> Debian Genomics 2.0 will probably not be interesting
> in six months.

Sorry for expressing more criticism than encouragements, but I think
that Debian Genomics is an inappropriate name, unless there is an
agreement for you to use the name of Debian. Even projects tightly
related to Debian, such as Quantian, do not use Debian in their name.
But if everything is ready apart from the name, this should not slow you
too much...

> >the reasons is that Debian does not distribute
> >software which has not
> >been built on machines administred by trusted
> >developpers, to ensure
> >that no trojan or similar mailcious software is
> >present.
>
>    Clever enough. Nothing to say here... so there must
> be another way to achieve the aim.
>
>    I've got _only_ 300kbps upload + dynamic IP (home
> DSL connection). I did think about bittorrent.
> However, the problem is basically the same: at least
> at the beginning, you have to provide potential
> downloaders with a reliable seed.

Well, I think that one one hand it will be difficult to find an
individual who can host your iso, but on the other hand the difficulty
with institutions like Debian or universities is that they will be
reluctant to host an iso unless it has been checked throuroughfully. If
you have a budget of a few dozens of euros, why not buying some hosting?
You could ask for donations to the users who are satisfied with your
live CD. (warning: do not expect donations from academic labs: I think
that they simply can't). If you find happy academic users, on the other
hand, you could ask them if they would kindly accept to host you...

Good luck with your project,

--
Charles