Re: DEBIAN GENOMICS

Hello Jose,

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 02:26:03PM +0200, Waste Crap wrote :

> >that Debian Genomics is an inappropriate name, unless there is an
> >agreement for you to use the name of Debian. Even projects tightly
> >related to Debian, such as Quantian, do not use Debian in their name.

>    Could you please tell me why? I have been through
> the debian-policy and and I haven't seen anything

Well, on the footer of the website, it is written that Debian is a
registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc. So I
assume that it is not granted that anything debian-based can be called
Debian.

>    I can't nor that I would spend a lot of money in
> order to host my ISOs. This is something I have made
> completely on my own and that I wanted to share with
> you (Debian + Molecular Biology Researchers + anyone
> interested), but it is now clear that it is not
> interesting in any way for the community.

I do not think that it costs that much to host your ISOs. I checked on a
french website, and it costs 2 euros per month for 10 Go, and 1 euro
for each 10 more Go. And opening a PayPal account is free. You would
need a small donnation every 10-20 downloads in order not to lose money.
You can even have 600 Go of traffic for 4 euros/month!!

http://www.ovh.com/fr/produits/90plan.xml

(I do not own shares of this company ;)

>    It is a pity but so it is. I might come some other
> time with something that attracts you more.

For sure, the experience you had in installing all these programs is
very valuable. Did you have to patch some of them ? Also, you have a
list of software, for which you checked their licence. Do not hesitate
to contribute it on the debian wiki!

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScienceBiology

Have a nice day,

--