Re: DEBIAN GENOMICS

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 12:04:28PM +0200, Waste Crap wrote :

>    Well, I did not make new .debs, but instead I
> installed some packages from tarball (Staden,
> RISO,...).

Hi,

It is sometimes good to be aggressive and not to postpone projects
waiting to be better, because we can always ameliorate and thus always
postpone. I think that the good thing of your approach is that it can
provide temporarly the comprehensiveness which is missing in all the
other projects. But of course there is a reason why nobody did it
before...

>    Could it be interesting to release this
> remasterization?

It depends what you mean by releasing. You can get a lot of credit by
providing a service, and you can lose the credit by not being able to
sustain the service. If you make your iso available to the public, I
recommend that you try to define what kind of support you will provide.
Saying "No support" is much better than saying nothing.

Also, did you check throuroughfully the licences of the packages you
installed ? In some cases, you can not redistribute modified versions of
the software without explicit agreement. This is the case of clustalw/x
for instance. It means that you can not redistribute your iso if you
installed clustal from the Debian packages. I say this as an example, to
illustrate the fact that dealing with non-free software can make the
distribution of CDs very complex.

> I would
> like to make it openly available but I can't upload
> the isos to any server -yet-.

Although I am not a Debian developper, I can answer the question of your
previous mail: Debian can not distribute your iso. For instance, one of
the reasons is that Debian does not distribute software which has not
been built on machines administred by trusted developpers, to ensure
that no trojan or similar mailcious software is present.

What kind of connexion do you have? Did you think about BitTorrent?

In conclusion, I think that if you want to keep your project alive in
the long term, you will have to use an approach less "quick and dirty".
But you have to ask yourself if you want to start a new project which is
redundant with others, while you could join existing ones. Did you read
the recent call for packagind the Open Microscopy Environnment ? A
research lab is ready to pay a developper for this task. I have looked
at the sources: there is no major diffuculty and there is a lot to
learn ! Are you interested ?

Have a nice day,

PS: I am a bit sorry to have to call you Waste Crap... Could you post
with your real name ?

--
Charles