Re: Re: DEBIAN GENOMICS

Hi!

>It is sometimes good to be aggressive and not to
>postpone projects
>waiting to be better, because we can always
ameliorate >and thus always
>postpone. I think that the good thing of your
approach >is that it can
>provide temporarly the comprehensiveness which is
>missing in all the
>other projects. But of course there is a reason why
>nobody did it
>before...

   I do agree with you. I just thought about the
"release early/release often" way of doing things.
What I did is _not_ a new distro, in the sense that it
will be supported/updated regularly (=maintained). I
did it  so that [some] people could have at hand
masses of useful, state-of-the-art open source
replacements for the software they use when they make
clinical microbiology research.

   Since the other projects seem to be not very active
at the moment, I thought it could be a good thing to
release (I mean, make my Debian Genomics openly
available) so that other people could take the good
stuff in my work for their own projects. The problem
is, however, that software ages, and it ages fast.
Debian Genomics 2.0 will probably not be interesting
in six months.

>recommend that you try to define what kind of support
>you will provide.
>Saying "No support" is much better than saying
>nothing.

 Then, I will say it here: "no support will be given"
(just to state things clear!) :-))

>Also, did you check throuroughfully the licences of
>the packages you
>installed ? In some cases, you can not redistribute

   Yes, I did. However, I may have made mistakes. In
the particular case of Clustal, I think I included it,
which, as you say (I did not know it), may lead to
problems. (I could in that case remove the packages
affected, obviously)

>the reasons is that Debian does not distribute
>software which has not
>been built on machines administred by trusted
>developpers, to ensure
>that no trojan or similar mailcious software is
>present.

   Clever enough. Nothing to say here... so there must
be another way to achieve the aim.

>What kind of connexion do you have? Did you think
>about BitTorrent?

   I've got _only_ 300kbps upload + dynamic IP (home
DSL connection). I did think about bittorrent.
However, the problem is basically the same: at least
at the beginning, you have to provide potential
downloaders with a reliable seed.

>In conclusion, I think that if you want to keep your
>project alive in
>the long term, you will have to use an approach less
>"quick and dirty".

   I agree with you.. but the project has already
fulfilled its initial goal. The only thing rfemining
is that I think it could be useful and interesting for
others to use/play/do research with it.. or even take
couple of things and add them to their own work. In
the end, isn't it what free software is all about?

>the recent call for packagind the Open Microscopy
>Environnment ? A
>research lab is ready to pay a developper for this
>task. I have looked

   Thank you very much for the offering :-). I have
alredy too many things to do, if I just have known it
some weeks ago... :-)

>PS: I am a bit sorry to have to call you Waste
Crap... >Could you post
>with your real name ?

   You mean you don't like my name? ;-)

   My name is Jose Maria Nadal.