Re: ITK debian packages

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Gavin Baker wrote:

Andreas picked up a problem:

 W: libinsighttoolkit4: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames ...

which is because there are multiple (like about 25) libraries that
comprise the base system.  So this isn't really fixable, as the only
solution would be to split each .so into its own package, which makes no
sense.  So I guess we just ignore this warning.

This is OK to me.  I just wanted to discuss it.  If it is an intended
decision it is fine to me.

I'm keen to have ITK uploaded to debian.  I notice that the ITP bug
(#184554) was closed when the packages were uploaded to
mentors.debian.net.  That's not really what's intended; rather, the
bug should remain open until the packages are uploaded to debian
proper.

Mea culpa, still learning.  Should I reopen it until it ends up in main
or just leave it?

Well, I think you are not able to reopen archived bugs.  I see no real
big need in just filing a new ITP bug, but I just wanted to make this
clear.  I hope we will be able to upload the package to main soon.  It
might be reasonable to make a note in the changelog file to inform
ftpmaster who might be wondering why there is no open ITP for a new
package.

Yes, I've been working on it and CableSwig 2.4 is now packaged, and
availabe at:

 http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/cableswig/

Great.

I couldn't find any ITP or RFP for it.

There's one now! :)

Have you had a chance to produce packages with bindings?

Yes, I've got a first cut.  It now builds using the new CableSwig
package and includes bindings, which I have briefly tested and works
great.  (BTW, it takes a good 5 hours or so, and takes several gig of
space!)

Uhm, will I need a new box if I do the build for sponsoring???

The problem now is getting the Python and Tcl files to install in the
appropriate places as per policy.  At the moment they mostly get
installed into /usr/lib/InsightToolkit.

AFAICT all the .py files should go into:

 /usr/lib/pythonX.X/site-packages/InsightToolkit

Yes.  Are you using dh_python?

But the Python policy doesn't seem to specify where the shared libraries
go.  I guess they belong in /usr/lib with the rest of them.

Yes.

So now that the default installation works, I just need to change the
CMakeList.txt scripts to put things in the right place as above.

Just tell me, whether you think CableSwig is ready for having a look
of a sponsor.  I found ITK packages from December 3. at

   http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/i/insighttoolkit/

are these the packages you talked about in the beginning of your mail
and do you want me to sponsor them?

Kind regards and thanks for your work