Re: More comments on the list of medical software projects

Andreas,

> So I think we should remove this package from "Control of medical devices"
> and start a new section "Medical image communication". Would you think
> that other program packages should go into this section.

I would suggest to move (or copy?) the following projects to the new
category "Medical image communication":

- CTN
- DCMTK
- DICOMscope

Unfortunately, the difference between image communication and processing is
not always that clear, e.g. what about image format conversion tools like
the ones that are part of (X)MedCon and ECG2PNG, but also of DCMTK?  Maybe,
there's still a need to assign certain projects to multiple categories.

Another observation: HL7 projects are listed under "Medical Record" (better
German translation would probably be "Kranken-/Gesundheitsakte", see
http://www.imi.med.uni-erlangen.de/team/download/mis_begriffsdefinitionen.pdf).
However, HL7 is basically a messaging standard (used to exchange messages
between medical information systems) and only recently started to define a
format for clinical documents (Clinical Document Architectur, CDA).

Btw, there are many more Open Source DICOM implementations (toolkits,
viewers, etc.) that should probably be listed on the Debian-Med website.
Some of them are:

- dicom3tools, http://www.dclunie.com/dicom3tools.html
- PixelMed Java DICOM Toolkit, http://www.pixelmed.com/
- dcm4che, http://sourceforge.net/projects/dcm4che/

See part 8 of the Medical Image Format FAQ for details:
http://www.dclunie.com/medical-image-faq/html/part8.html

Another interesting source of information is http://www.idoimaging.com/.

Best regards,
Joerg