Re: Open-Source Diabetes tools at sourceforge.net

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Andreas Tille wrote:

... a long time ago as response to the review of
Gert De Keersmaecker <gertdek@pandora.be> according to diabetes related
projects on sourceforge.  I asked him to do some rating regarding importance
of the projects regarding inclusion into Debian-Med.  I want to bring
it up to your view again and add the URLs.  At least we should try to
keep this information on our web site.  Do you think it would make sense
to add an extra category "diabetes" or should this stuff be sorted into
the existing sections?

> > KPumpe
> > KPumpe is a diabetes diary log application with support to read from
> > glucometers via glucomodul - modules. Everyone with every type of diabetes
> > can find here a good diary log application and Pumpers can use it as well.
> > License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
> > Development Status: 4 - Beta
> > 2
> Rating it "2" seems to be OK.
Remark: No uploads since about two years.

> > Diabetes Blood Glucose Meter Modules
> > Our target is to make modules for blood glucose meters and to make them usable
> > for other projects which are creating Diabetes related software.
> > License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
> > Development Status: 4 - Beta
> > 2
> Rating it "2" seems to be OK.
Remark: No uploads since about two years.

Might be interesting because it tries to build some common library ...

> > Insulin Buddy
> > Insulin Buddy is diabetes management software. It allows for quick and
> > painless entry of all diabetes-related data (blood blucose, carbohydrate
> > consumption, insulin doses, etc) and provides a number of reports, charts and
> > data exports to easily keep trac
> > License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
> > Development Status: 4 - Beta
> > 3
> Rating it "3" seems to be OK.
>
> > GNU Gluco Control
> > GNU Gluco Control (ggc) helps you to manage your diabetes. You will find
> > detailed tables, diagrams and statistics. It is platform independent and is
> > written in java. You can select between mysql, postgresql, odbc(windows) or
> > text file to store all the da
> > License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
> > Development Status: 3 - Alpha
> > 3
> Here the usual Java trouble applies.  We have to check whether it runs with
> our free Java impementations.  If it needs a non-free JVM I would rate it
> "4" especially its functionality seems to be covered by Insulin Buddy.
> (correct me if I'm wrong).
Remark: I might add that there is only one alpha release - also about two
        years old.

> > GlucoZaurus Diabetes Managment Tool
> > GlucoZaurus is a tool for the Sharp Zaurus (Embedix/QTopia) that allows people
> > suffereing from Diabetes to track their bloodsugar/Insulin values and display
> > graphs in order to see the progress.
> > License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
> > Development Status: 3 - Alpha
> > 3
> Well, Debian is known to work on Zaurus, but I personally think we should
> not focus on specific architectures.  I'm not sure if it is reasonable in
> the long term to ignore those PDAs but I do not really think that we should
> this rate higher than "4".
I think we should not really move this to our todo list if noone insists here.

> > Disease Gene Profiler
> > Disease Gene Profiler (DGP) comprises of a set of (bioinformatics) tools that
> > can be used to identify the genes underlying susceptibility to common
> > multifactorial diseases (such as diabetes, asthma and cancer) using freely
> > available datasources.
> >  License: GNU Library or Lesser General Public License (LGPL)
> >  Development Status: 4 - Beta
> > 1
> Rating it "1" seems to be OK.

(This seems to me the project Gert De Keersmaecker was refering to in the
 mail I responded recently).

Seems to be reasonable to start with the last project.  Gerd do you have
interest any more?