Re: RFA: medical word drug listing

Hi Christian,

Christian writes:

> are you on the OpenHealth list?

No.

> Just recently, they had a discussion about (medical) terminologies.
> It turned out that it would be desirable to capture only the basic
> terms (no combinations of these) in a lexicon. Is this the aim of
> your project?

Not really but I have some of those with the intention of releasing
them eventually. See:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/medicalwords/pre/definitions/en/csv/

> Does your project want to provide:
> - a Terminology

        possibly.

> - a spell checking word list

        basically.

> - drug information list

        not really this project.

> I think that all together might get too difficult.

> 1 In the project aims on your website, you write that there are no
> other medical term collections with a public domain license?
> So the aim of your project is to create a free medical terminology?
> In this case, perhaps you could synchronize with OpenEHR and other
> projects who are interested in using such defined terms?

I'm unaware of a public domain listing of medical-related words
although there may be one out there. But keeping tabs with OpenEHR
sounds like a good idea.

> 2 For spell-checking, one would really need a comprising word lexicon.
> But I am not sure, if drug names belong into such a lexicon.

Its just a list of words.

> 3 For drugs, there's drugref.org

Yes I downloaded their database dump and am surprised at the depth and
scope of their work.

Elizabeth