Re: RFA: medical word drug listing

Hi Elizabeth,

> for a medical word listing used in such a thing as a
> spelling-corrector application, most of the above is not needed. In
> fact, only one single drug should be used, which is "carbinoxamine"
> (all lower-case because carbinoxamine is not a brand name). By
> deleting all but one of the drugs and changing that one to
> "carbonoxamine", then it is fitting for a medical word list.

are you on the OpenHealth list?

Just recently, they had a discussion about (medical) terminologies.
It turned out that it would be desirable to capture only the basic terms
(no combinations of these) in a lexicon. Is this the aim of your project?

Does your project want to provide:
- a Terminology
- a spell checking word list
- drug information list
I think that all together might get too difficult.

1 In the project aims on your website, you write that there are no
other medical term collections with a public domain license?
So the aim of your project is to create a free medical terminology?
In this case, perhaps you could synchronize with OpenEHR and other
projects who are interested in using such defined terms?

2 For spell-checking, one would really need a comprising word lexicon.
But I am not sure, if drug names belong into such a lexicon.

3 For drugs, there's drugref.org

Christian