Re: gnumed

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Gerardo Arnaez wrote:

> Well, for the record, I had to go the various sites
> and convert RPM packages to debian using alien:
>
> wxGTK-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm --> wxgtk_2.3.2-2_i386.deb
>
> wxPython-2.3.2.1-1-Py21.i386.rpm -->
> wxpython_2.3.2.1-2_i386.deb
Well, alien is one way to get Debian packages.  The other way is to
bother the Debian maintainer about packaging new versions of the packages
in question.  The Debian maintainer of the above packages is part of the
upstream maintainer team and when I asked him why he has no packages
of the latest version he had some technical reasons (sorry, do not remember
exactly) but agreed to build preliminary packages if they are needed for
other stuff.  I just CC him and he might comment on the fact.  (Ron:
Packaging GnuMed requires at least version 2.3.2 of the wx* stuff.)

> egenix-mx-base-2.0.3-py2.1_1.i386.rpm -->
> egenix-mx-base_2.0.3-1_i386.deb
When I checked out GnuMed in the beginning of May 2002 I found out that
the following pathon*-engenix-* packages will be needed:

   python2.1-egenix-mxdatetime
   python2.1-egenix-mxtools
   python2.1-egenix-mxqueue
   python2.1-egenix-mxstack
   python2.1-egenix-mxtexttools

They are also available as python2.2-* packages and are all contained from
upstream version 2.0.3.  So there is no need to convert from RPM.

Thanks for your efforts.  Some tips how I would try to proceed in
packaging GnuMed.

    1. Start width the database part of the server.
       Have a look at some Debian packages which use their own PostgreSQL
       databases (PHPGroupWare and OdontoLinux come to my mind, there
       might be others).
       Try to make this part rock solid by some tests - perhaps done using
       a box with manualle installed GnuMed Client.

    2. Once the server part is ready try packaging the client (of course
       into a separate binary Debian package).  Hopefully if you start this
       step the wx* stuff is ready in the right version und thus your
       initial problem is solved without much effort ;-) .

PS: Debian-Med list CCed because it might be interesting there.