Re: newbie and nervous cell

On 6 May 2002, Paolo Ariano wrote:

> > Thanks. One remark to Java based software.  You should definitely make sure
> > that it compilies *and* runs with those Java utilities which are part of
> > Debian main.
>
> ImageJ license ? the author Wayne write to me:
> "This is okay with me as long as your documentation mentions where the
> software came from and you do not call your version of the software
> ImageJ."
> so we have to change the name makinga .deb of ImageJ
No, we definitely do not have to change the name of the software
in the Debian package.  Somebody wanted to give the author a hint
about his sloppy license which sucks.  If we want to package ImageJ
the package should be named imagej_<version>-<debian-package-version>.deb.
But if you want to fork/steal the upstream program to something else
you have to rename it.  But I really see no sense in forking it.
It would be better if the author would use a real license instead of
put it intoo public domain.

> I (we?) have to try if ImageJ compilies *and* runs with those Java
> utilities which are part of Debian main. as suggested by Andreas
... if you want to let it go into the Debian *main* section, yes.
There is also Debian *contrib* for those software which (build-)depends
from non-free software.  Some vendors do not ship contrib on their
Debian CD bundles.
I guess it is explained in the Debian Java policy in detail.