Re: libdatetime-timezone-perl need to wait?

On 20/06/2020 22:39, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification. Would that really be an issue if they
> got it? They will get the newer version later.
> But I get the point. In any case it is not an urgent thing so we can
> wait. I'll add notes about this too.

Yes, it can be a problem, for example if the package has dependencies on
libraries that have bumped the SONAME on the newer Debian release. That can
cause apt to not be able to do a dist-upgrade.

In this particular case, that's unlikely to be a problem, but we follow the more
general rule of not having a higher version in an older release. Besides, this
update is not urgent (the changes are scheduled to happen in October or so) so
there's no rush and we can wait for the point release. If the changes were
urgent, the stretch update would have happened quickly through a SUA rather than
waiting for a point release.

Cheers,
Emilio