Re: jessie-updates gone

On 2019-04-01 20:14, Andy Smith wrote:

I don't know what the answer is other than having apt itself show a
warning about the levels of support changing, but until we work out
a better solution, isn't having the <dist>-updates suite go away at
least a final chance to get the user's attention?

I don't see how this significantly differs from having to have an LTS-specific directory.

Based on the argument above, invalidating all regular Jessie directories and using an LTS-specific directory serves that purpose far better.

I think any such change is actively negative to anyone maintaining a system or a set of systems, though.

> How about a package update at the cut-over point with a NEWS
> changelog saying something like, "this distribution is now only
> supported by LTS; you should upgrade to continue to enjoy the usual
> level of support. For more information about the LTS project please
> see: https://…"; ?

This might help, except for the "see: https://"; part.

When proposing changes in distribution handling, imagine a stressed admin on a text-only console in a cramped server room somewhere, who is investigating problems.

Try to consider what kind of information and changes that are actually useful, and which will complicate matters to the point that it makes the admin's job difficult or impossible.
Jan