Re: jessie-updates gone

Le mer. 27 mars 2019 à 14:52, Adam D. Barratt
<adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> a écrit :

> Packages aren't moved from -updates to (old)stable, they're moved from
> p-u. Packages only get removed from -updates following manual action
> from a Release Team member.
>
> In the case of jessie, it appears there was still at least an old kernel
> package in there.

To clarify my understanding, when point-releases are published, does
this mean that packages already present in -updates also get in the
stable repository ? Thus they coexists as duplicates up to a Release
Team member manually clean the -updates/ repository ?

Does this also mean that packages in -updates are also in
-proposed-updates until the point-release is released ? Thus,
-updates/ is just some kind of bypass from the -proposed-updates/ for
some packages to get to the running instances faster and before the
point-releases ? This now seems to me that they are a bit out of the
official release cycle.

If this is right, I have gained more clarity on how it works. I
naively thought that the proposed-updates was like « testing updates
». And then, when considered stables, that they was transferred to the
stable-updates. And then that they was transferred to the stable
repository once every point-release. But I now discovered it exists
the p-u-new ! [1]

I thought having -updates/ in my sources.list would prevent me to wait
for the point-release to get the updates. I got some and was happy
with it, but it seems I understood wrong and didn't got them as early
as I could have. This explain my previous statement of not using
-proposed-updates/ on production servers. It seems it has not the
intended effect. ;)

[1] https://www.debian.org/releases/proposed-updates.html