Re: How to handle undetermined

Hi Holger

See below.

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 at 15:56, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
hi,

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 02:01:38PM +0100, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> What I did was to check CVE-2016-10729 and my conclusion that I cannot
> reproduce the problem.

(I havent looked at CVE-2016-10729.)

> It may be so that the checks are not in place but there are obviously
> something preventing the exploit to be reproducible. Either that or that
> you have to be logged in as backup, which is not possible.

can you reproduce the bug in sid or stretch?

if so, I think you can conclude that the exploit really doesnt work on
jessie.

I have not tried, but I doubt I will succeed. I think the same security measurements are applicable also in sid and stretch.
I'm suspecting that the necessary thing needed to exploit this is if anyone have login permission to the backup user. But you cannot login to that user on a Debian machine.

> My question to you is how to properly mark this vulnerability. Is it so
> that it should be "undetermined" or should I mark it in some other way?

see b990a51a15d in security-tracker.git for an example how to mark
something as not affecting jessie. in short: <not-affected> which an
explaination why.

but only do this if you are really sure, else leave it at undetermined.

I'm not 100% sure yet so I'll leave it as is for now. :-)

// Ola

--
cheers,
        Holger

/  ola@inguza.com                    Folkebogatan 26            \
|  opal@debian.org                   654 68 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /