Re: the way to enigmail: gnupg 2.1 backport considerations

On Mon, 2018-11-12 at 15:16 -0500, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So I've been looking at Enigmail again, after a long journey helping
> people in stable getting that stuff fixed. It's pretty obvious there's
> no way to upload that without first doing a GnuPG 2.1 backport into
> jessie.
>
> That, it turns out, requires *four* more source package
> backports. Fortunately for us, *all* of those are already in
> jessie-backports. They would, unfortunately, probably need to be
> uploaded straight into jessie-security, however, if only for
> consistency's sake.
>
> That would mean, however, a more or less forced update on the following
> libraries in jessie:
>
>  * libassuan (part of GPG, 2.1 -> 2.4)
>  * libgcrypt20 (part of GnuTLS, 1.6 -> 1.7)
>  * libgpg-error (GPG, 1.17 -> 1.26)
>  * npth (GPG, 1.0 -> 1.3)
>
> How should we handle this? I haven't looked at each backport in detail
> to see if ABI changes are significant, but the version numbers seem to
> indicate they are not (for what that's worth of course).
[...]

Unless these are bug-fix-only updates, I don't think they are suitable
for jessie-security.  Would it be possible to bundle the libraries with
gpg 2.1, and install them somewhere that doesn't conflict with the
existing versions?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
No political challenge can be met by shopping. - George Monbiot