Re: the way to enigmail: gnupg 2.1 backport considerations

On 2018-11-13 13:24:39, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-11-12 at 15:16 -0500, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So I've been looking at Enigmail again, after a long journey helping
>> people in stable getting that stuff fixed. It's pretty obvious there's
>> no way to upload that without first doing a GnuPG 2.1 backport into
>> jessie.
>>
>> That, it turns out, requires *four* more source package
>> backports. Fortunately for us, *all* of those are already in
>> jessie-backports. They would, unfortunately, probably need to be
>> uploaded straight into jessie-security, however, if only for
>> consistency's sake.
>>
>> That would mean, however, a more or less forced update on the following
>> libraries in jessie:
>>
>>  * libassuan (part of GPG, 2.1 -> 2.4)
>>  * libgcrypt20 (part of GnuTLS, 1.6 -> 1.7)
>>  * libgpg-error (GPG, 1.17 -> 1.26)
>>  * npth (GPG, 1.0 -> 1.3)
>>
>> How should we handle this? I haven't looked at each backport in detail
>> to see if ABI changes are significant, but the version numbers seem to
>> indicate they are not (for what that's worth of course).
> [...]
>
> Unless these are bug-fix-only updates, I don't think they are suitable
> for jessie-security.

I doubt they are:

https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/liba/libassuan/changelog-2.4.3-2~bpo8%2B1
https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/libg/libgcrypt20/changelog-1.7.6-1~bpo8%2B1
https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/libg/libgpg-error/changelog-1.26-2~bpo8%2B1
https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/n/npth/changelog-1.3-1~bpo8%2B1

Lots of "new upstream release" in there which can basically mean
anything. Here are the respective changelogs:

https://sources.debian.org/src/libassuan/2.4.3-2%7Ebpo8+1/ChangeLog/
https://sources.debian.org/src/libgcrypt20/1.7.6-1%7Ebpo8+1/ChangeLog/
https://sources.debian.org/src/libgpg-error/1.26-2%7Ebpo8+1/ChangeLog/
https://sources.debian.org/src/npth/1.3-1%7Ebpo8+1/ChangeLog/

None of those are patch releases. In fact, in some cases, there *are* no
patch releases (e.g. libpth) and I doubt minor releases are really minor
anyways...

So yes, those are significant upgrades.

I take solace in the fact that those packages are on jessie-backports
already and that if they would have broken stuff, people would have
noticed already...

... right? :)

> Would it be possible to bundle the libraries with gpg 2.1, and install
> them somewhere that doesn't conflict with the existing versions?

That is a possibility. libassuan, for example, is basically this in
jessie right now:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libassuan.so.0.4.2

jessie-backports ships:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libassuan.so.0.7.3

both share the same major SONAME, unfortunately. So they is a clash on
the .so.0 symlink. I am not sure how the linker could handle duplicates
of those entries. And we'd have trouble in /usr/share/doc/libassuan0,
for example.

libgcrypt is similar:

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcrypt.so.20.0.3
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcrypt.so.20.1.6

libgpg-error:

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgpg-error.so.0.13.0
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgpg-error.so.0.21.0

libnpth0:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnpth.so.0.0.3
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnpth.so.0.0.6

I am not sure how we could ship both versions of those libraries in
jessie - that's beyond my linker skill level, i'm afraid. ;)

A.

--
A genius is someone who discovers that the stone that falls and the
moon that doesn't fall represent one and the same phenomenon.