Re: Xen 4.4 updates - request for feedback

Am 26.10.18 um 14:48 schrieb Ben Hutchings:
> On Thu, 2018-10-25 at 11:32 +0200, Peter Dreuw wrote:
>> Am 25.10.18 um 10:08 schrieb Peter Dreuw:
>> may one point to make it clear, tho it might be obvious to most of you:
>>
>> We can apply fixes to the original Xen 4.4 version and have done
>> everything possible - without a fixed kernel, there is no mitigation of
>> spectre/meltdown.
> By "kernel", do you mean the Xen kernel or the guest kernel?
Both.
> The Linux
> kernel in jessie does have mitigations for Meltdown (amd64 only),
> Spectre variants 1 and 2, and several other speculation issues.
You are talking of the 4.9 kernel package, aren't you? With this, people
would be safe if we manage to fix Xen, yes. But I'm afraid, the folks
out there that stick to the 3.16 kernel would not. For LTS
distributions, this might be a problem, I think, as people might tend to
stick to the older versions to keep ancient software
unchanged/untouched. But that's beyond my topic here and of course, we
can't really help them.
> The non-free section for jessie also has the new microcode for Intel
> processors.

yes I know. The microcode updates are necessary, too - afaik.

>> The same applies to any other virtualization solution.
>> So people have to work with a more recent Kernel or live with unfixed
>> spectre/meltdown issues. If you are using a backports kernel, you might
>> be willing to use a backports Xen package, too.
> The backports suites aren't supported during the LTS period.  So if we
> provide a newer Xen for jessie it will need to be as an additional
> source package, and that must not build any binary packages that are
> built from the "xen" source package.  I did this for the Linux kernel
> by adding the "linux-4.9" source package.

oh, ok. I'm not too deep in this distribution policy, sorry for my
misunderstanding.

Cheers

Peter

--
Peter Dreuw
Teamleiter

gpg fingerprint: 33B0 82D3 D103 B594 E7D3  53C7 FBB6 3BD0 DB32 ED41
http://www.credativ.de/

Jetzt neu:
Elephant Shed - PostgreSQL Appliance
PostgreSQL und alles was dazugehört

Von Backup über Monitoring bis Reporting:
https://elephant-shed.io/index.de.html

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz

begin:vcard
fn:Peter Dreuw
n:Dreuw;Peter
org:credativ GmbH;Team Support
adr;quoted-printable:;;Trompeter Allee 108;M=C3=B6nchengladbach;Nordrhein-Westfalen;41189;Deutschland
email;internet:peter.dreuw@credativ.de
title:Teamleiter
tel;work:+4921669901155
tel;fax:+4921669901100
note;quoted-printable:gpg fingerprint: 33B0 82D3 D103 B594 E7D3  53C7 FBB6 3BD0 DB32 ED41=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	credativ GmbH, HRB M=C3=B6nchengladbach 12080=0D=0A=
	USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209=0D=0A=
	Gesch=C3=A4ftsf=C3=BChrung: Dr. Michael Meskes, J=C3=B6rg Folz, SaschaHeu=
	er
url:www.credativ.de
version:2.1
end:vcard