Re: Xen 4.4 updates - request for feedback

On Thu, 2018-10-25 at 11:32 +0200, Peter Dreuw wrote:

> > > Right. It's a huge challenge and sensitive if not confusing code.
> > yes, it is. I think it will be doable but I have no real idea how mich
> > time this would consume.
>
> may one point to make it clear, tho it might be obvious to most of you:
>
> We can apply fixes to the original Xen 4.4 version and have done
> everything possible - without a fixed kernel, there is no mitigation of
> spectre/meltdown.

By "kernel", do you mean the Xen kernel or the guest kernel?  The Linux
kernel in jessie does have mitigations for Meltdown (amd64 only),
Spectre variants 1 and 2, and several other speculation issues.

The non-free section for jessie also has the new microcode for Intel
processors.

> The same applies to any other virtualization solution.
> So people have to work with a more recent Kernel or live with unfixed
> spectre/meltdown issues. If you are using a backports kernel, you might
> be willing to use a backports Xen package, too.

The backports suites aren't supported during the LTS period.  So if we
provide a newer Xen for jessie it will need to be as an additional
source package, and that must not build any binary packages that are
built from the "xen" source package.  I did this for the Linux kernel
by adding the "linux-4.9" source package.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The obvious mathematical breakthrough [to break modern encryption]