Re: Confusing our users - who is supporting LTS?

On Sat, 2018-10-27 at 20:51 +0000, Luca Filipozzi wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 09:41:43AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 01:02:57PM -0300, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
> > > I meant that we would say that stable is supported by the security
> > > team.  And instead of saying that Jessie was supported by the LTS
> > > team, we would say supported by Freexian.
> >
> > I would object to that, on the grounds that even though Freexian is
> > currently the only company paying people to do LTS support, we should
> > not encourage the idea that they have a monopoly on doing that.
>
> I agree that more than one consultancy should/could provide resources
> for LTS.
>
> I find it inappropriate that that we (Debian) publicize solicitation of
> donations to Freexian on debian.org websites [1] and, further, that we
> the advertise their 'Extended LTS' commercial offering [2].
>
> [1]: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Funding
> [2]: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Extended

Debian has long maintained references to consultants (like the paid LTS
work) and commercial derivatives (like the ELTS) and I don't think
that's inherently problematic.

But the wording here could certainly be improved to make it clearer
that Debian has no special relationship with Freexian.

> > For the avoidance of doubt, I am not saying that Freexian is doing a
> > bad job, or that they should be replaced, or anything of the sorts.
>
> Nor am I, but I do not find the lack of distinction between Debian and
> Freexian to be appropriate.
>
> One way is for the funding for Debian LTS to flow through Debian's
> Trusted Organizations, complete with the restrictions that might come
> with that.

Debian can't afford to pay developers in general, and previous
proposals to pay specific developers were not well received.  So, I
don't this happening.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If you seem to know what you are doing, you'll be given more to do.