Re: Confusing our users - who is supporting LTS?

Hello Raphael,

On Tue 23 Oct 2018 at 09:52AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Instead we are rather aiming to integrate LTS more and more everywhere.
> However, when LTS is becoming a burden on other teams, we should
> definitely look how the LTS team can help to alleviate that burden.
> Because as you know the LTS team has paid contributors to do that kind
> of work.
>
> I invite you to start a conversation between debian-lts and debian-cloud
> to discuss how the LTS team can help you with the workload that you would
> rather get rid of. Maybe we need to allocate some time each month to
> update LTS images, maybe you need our help to improve your tooling to better
> support LTS and that would be enough, etc. I don't know. Let's discuss.

Unfortunately, I don't think this suggestion could help with the issues
raised by Steve.

The more LTS is integrated with the regular project, the more that teams
will feel they have to spend time on LTS matters.  Even if paid LTS team
members are the ones writing the patches to do the actual integration,
the relevant Debian team will still have to review those patches, engage
in design discussion and keep LTS needs in mind while doing their other
work.  Indeed, that's what you're asking for in the paragraphs of your
e-mail I've quoted.  Reducing integration avoids this problem.

--
Sean Whitton