Re: News: 2018-06-01-Debian-7-Long-Term-Support-reaching-end-of-life

Hi Laura e.a.,

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 01:32:21AM +0200, Laura Arjona Reina wrote:

<snip>
> https://salsa.debian.org/publicity-team/announcements/blob/master/en/2018/20180601.wml
<snip>

And more below :

> El 31/05/18 a las 15:33, Joost van Baal-Ilić escribió:

> >> This also came up on debian-lts [1]. Perhaps we should better
> >> communicate that Extended LTS will benefit all Debian users? At any rate
> >> it is certain that ELTS will happen now. I think we would rather prefer
> >> a straight forward sentence like the current
> >>
> >> A subset of Wheezy packages will be supported by Freexian though.
> >> Detailed information can be found at <a
> >> href="https://deb.freexian.com/extended-lts";>Extended LTS</a>.
> >
> > Now that I've read that webpage stuff is more clear to me.
> >
> >> I could change the first sentence to "A subset of Wheezy packages will
> >> be supported by external parties though. They will be made available for
> >> all Debian users."
> >>
> >> IMO if we change the other sentence to "Refer to
> >> https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/ for more information." we just create one
> >> more diversion but the fact remains the same, ELTS is managed by
> >> Freexian. I don't have a strong opinion though. I could live with either
> >> way.
> >
> >> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts/2018/05/msg00074.html
> >
> > I don't think we ever before suggested our users to use services supplied by
> > external companies in our general public announcements.  I am not yet sure
> > what's the wisest thing to do here.  Referring to the wiki feels more safe.
> > Maybe anybody else has some insights to share?  Time is running out and I can't
> > invest much more time in this now...  :(
>
> We (publicity delegates) also think that is better to mention "external
> parties" and link to a wiki page. I have committed our proposal:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/publicity-team/announcements/commit/cd98c0779d59f22ab66d401d21f7bf5ec0ce0f62

> - subset of Wheezy packages will be supported by Freexian though. Detailed
> - information can be found at <a
> href="https://deb.freexian.com/extended-lts";>
> + subset of Wheezy packages will be supported by external parties. Detailed
> + information can be found at <a
> href="https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/ExtendedLTS";>
> Extended LTS</a>.</p>
>
> Our proposal would be that you (or us, but you know better the details)
> create the https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/ExtendedLTS with a similar format
> as the https://wiki.debian.org/LTS page, including timeline, link to
> Freexian, and maybe explain that it is not in Debian infrastructure but
> all the Debian users can benefit of the work...
>
> This way, we keep in the announcement the focus on end-of-life of Wheezy
> LTS, and yes, we add one click for the interested people, but IMO that's
> also a good filter to avoid misunderstandings for other readers, and an
> opportunity to explain more things or explain then better, in the wiki page.
>
> What do you think?

I think this is a great solution, thanks a lot.

I just wrote a very tiny scratch-version at
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/ExtendedLTS .  I have very little time today to do
more work on this.  Anybody else would like to contribute?

Bye,

Joost