Re: version number when packaging a new upstream release

On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 06:16:37PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Oct 2016, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Do you have any rationale why you think -1~deb7u1 would be better
> > than -0+deb7u1?
>
> My preference goes for the former because it matches the logic of
> backported packages and thus does not introduce a new concept while
> -0+deb7u1 is not something we use in another context.

-0+deb7u1 is a concept already used in DSAs for exactly this purpose.

I just found a good example how the versioning you are suggesting could
cause real problems:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts-announce/2016/09/msg00017.html
https://www.debian.org/security/2016/dsa-3666

If LTS would switch to your suggested -1~deb7u1, then a wheezy user who
got your LTS package might not get future security fixes like -0+deb8u2
or -0+deb8u9 after upgrading to jessie.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.