Re: Unsupported packages for Wheezy LTS

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 02:10:48PM +0200, Guido Günther wrote:
> > No, I recommend to EOL src:qemu/qemu-kvm in wheezy (the bits relevant to src:xen are
> > somewhat isolated and can be backported from the Xen Security announcements)
> > Backporting jessie's qemu will end up in a similar situation as the experiments
> > with libav.
>
> I don't think so. We already have the version of Jessie in Wheezy
> backports and I've looked into the dependency list. See
>
>     https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts/2016/04/msg00002.html
>
> so this should be doable…

But what would be the point of that? Upgrading a virtualisation server to
a new qemu effectively requires the same amount of testing/downtime of the
operation side as upgrading that system to jessie.

Except that you would now run your system on a mostly untested combination of vintage
2.6.32 Linux, old libvirt and modern qemu compared to the jessie stack which is
extensively tested through a full freeze. And you'd still need to upgrade to
jessie later.

There are some cornercases where it makes sense to upgrade a central system component
to a more recent version. The upgrade of Java makes sense to me e.g., but in the
general case it's just papering over issues which should rather be communicated
clearly to the user base.

Cheers,
        Moritz