Supporting libav in wheezy

Hello,

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016, Brian May wrote:
> > 2. Spend some time on investigating what it takes to backport
> > libav from jessie to wheezy. 11.x is still supported by
>
> Looks like the SONAME has changed. Presumably this means anything
> depending on libav will need to be rebuilt?

There's also an alternate way to go forward... continue to support
the current version with paid external help if needed.

You might want to get in touch with https://libav.org/consulting/
and see if one of them would be willing to do this work. Sebastian
Ramacher pointed us to this list when we seeked his opinion to see
whether we could support vlc/libav in wheezy.

We have 15% of the sponsors listing at least one of the binary packages
built by libav in their package list. That's relatively close to Xen
(17.4%) where we are going to spend money for external help. That said
none of the customers expressed their reliance on this package when I
asked on the private list while they were quick to respond for their
need of Xen.

I did not list this package explicitly in
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/TODO#Find_upstream_developers_who_are_willing_to_work_on_LTS_support
but it's something that can we can consider for any package used by LTS
sponsors if needed (and I did list vlc so its dependencies can be
implicitly integrated as well).

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer