Re: libxml2 in squeeze-lts: remove or activate patch files in debian/patches

Dear Raphael and Mike,

Thank you so much for explaining the reasons, I could mostly understand.

FWIW, your patch apply-debian-patches-at-build-time.patch does not work.
Actually, all patch files in debian/patches/* are applied correctly
by debian/rules at the build-time when I execute the following commands.
$ dpkg-source -x libxml2_2.7.8.dfsg-2+squeeze12.dsc
$ cd libxml2-2.7.8.dfsg
$ patch -p1 < /path/to/B_libxml2_apply-debian-patches-at-build-time.patch
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

In my understanding, the source format "1.0" doesn't have strict rules
about applying patches to the upstream source tree.
For example, binutils, pam, and some other "1.0" formatted packages
also modify the upstream tree by both .diff and debian/patches/*.
Therefore, I suggested applying individual patches with the patch "B",
like the above packages.

Anyway, as you say, the patch "B" should not be used if applying patches
from debian/patches is not recommended for the source format "1.0".

As another workaround, it might be good to use another directory name instead,
for example debian/patches-applied.