Re: Any ideas on whether or not a Wheezy LTS will happen or not

>> On Montag, 30. März 2015, Michael Banck wrote:
>>> Please keep in mind that wheezy will get regular maintenance for one
>>> year after the jessie release, so the question whether there will be a
>>> wheezy-lts or not is not imminent.
>>
>> while I agree that the question is not imminent, I do think this question
>> should be answered sooner, eg. it would be good to decide on _jessie_ LTS
>> _now_, as it's an important factor when deciding whether to deploy jessie
>> soon, whether it will have 2 or 5 years security support.
>>
>> That's said, I dont know how to "properly" decide this now and I also have no
>> idea how to guarantee that we'll keep this promise unless by proving we'll do
>> so, by doing so. Basically just like we release a new Debian version roughly
>> every 22 months since 10 years, even though this also not guaranteed.
>>
>> So my current answer to the question about Wheezy or Jessie LTS is: "I have no
>> idea, but given Squeeze's LTS success, I think it's very likely we'll have
>> Wheezy + Jessie LTS. Please support Squeeze LTS and/or express your
>> appreciation / usage to make it happen."
> I think skipping Wheezy and providing Jessie LTS would give users
> almost the same support coverage but with less effort. How about
> deciding on Jessie LTS first and if there is still demand for Wheezy
> LTS considering it later?
> Is there any clear indication of what our (potential) LTS users
> (funders) prefer?

One of the biggest benefits the LTS has given me, as a webhost tech, is more breathing room in the upgrade cycles. It's far less hectic trying to get every varied system upgraded a notch, especially as each upgrade comes with its own set of minor headaches. Squeeze -> Wheezy is a relativity smooth upgrade, but there are a few gotchas, including for example dovecot & varnish upgrades which require config file updates.

Wheezy -> Jessie is looking to be a rougher upgrade, including the major init system change, major Puppet upgrade (2.7 -> 3.7, config updates required), varnish upgrade (3.0.2 -> 4.0.2, config upgrades required) and apache going to 2.4, which works the entire auth system in Apache, and includes some minor changes in RewriteEngine handling.

Personally, having the time to slowly work through these problems on a case-by-case basis is invaluable, not having wheezy LTS support for the greater breathing room it provides would not be pleasant.

Johnathon